Seizure First Aid
In the event of a generalized seizure, the following information is important in managing the fit.
After jerking has stopped, turn the person on his/her side so that saliva can easily drop from the mouth.
(Ref image 1-4)
- Time the seizure
- Remove the patient from any danger like water, fire, road or machinery.
- Remove any harmful objects that may be near the person.
- Place something soft under the head e.g. a cushion or rolled up jacket to avoid head injuries.
- Remove eye glasses and loosen the clothing around the neck and waist to enable the person breathe easier.
- Do not restrain the person, this may result in injury.
- Stay with the person until he/she recovers.
NOTE: Visit a health facility if the person has more than 2 repeated or prolonged seizures (more than 5-10 minutes) and inform the next of kin.
- Do not panic, remain calm.
- Do not insert an object like a spoon/stick into the mouth.
- Do not give the person food/water/drinks and even medicine during a seizure.